Friday, January 1, 2010

She's Crafty

Three years ago Josh gave me a sewing machine for my birthday. It was what I asked for, but for some reason it sat in its box until last month. I learned to sew in my middle school home economics class, and totally remember making a locker caddy from the most horrible looking fabrics. Since then, I had barely touched a sewing machine and had only made some things here and there using stitch witchery (iron on, no sew required fusing). When Jackson's first Halloween came around, I remembered the amazing handmade costumes my mom and grandmother had made for me as a child, and I wanted to do the same for Jackson.

Well, I ended buying Jackson's costume, because the idea of using a sewing machine was so intimidating. I recently found this cool craft supply store in Denver, Fancy Tiger Crafts, and signed up for their Sewing 101 class.

The three hour class gave me the confidence to face my intimidating machine, and I even made a cute credit card/gift card holder that was perfect for my sister-in-law.

With my new found skills and tight budget, I decided that this year Christmas was going to be a handmade holiday. Here are some photos of my craftiness:

Coasters


Sweater quilt


I used three old sweaters and backed it with warm fleece


Reusable Coffee Cup Cozy
(I haven't tested it out yet...yay, a reason to stop at Starbucks!)


My workspace (i.e. dining room table) with an attempt to applique a t shirt for Jackson


Next on my project list...
An appliqued shirt for Jackson's birthday, and a "Happy Birthday" fabric banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment