Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Penny Pinching, Starbucks Style

Most people who know me know that I love Starbucks. I know it gets a bad rep, but to me its cozy in a cup. When the weather gets colder and leaves change, I start craving Starbucks real bad. And I don't just crave a cup of coffee. I'm after the steaming hot, sugar-laden, foamy, frothy latte. Vanilla is my standard, but during the holidays I mix it up - Caramel Macchiato, Pumpkin Spice, Eggnog, Chai Latte - it depends on the day.

When I was working, I would run through the drive-thru a few times a week. Now that I'm home full time, our budget can't handle my indulgences. So, it has become my journey to recreate these tasty treats at home, all without a fancy espresso machine on the counter.

For many of the drinks I have gotten close, but the thing that's been missing is that foamy creama. After months of searching kitchen and homegoods stores I have found the perfect frother: the Aerolatte Moo.

This frother is super easy to use and clean, and its really fast. I usually use nonfat milk in my coffee, but have found that the frother works SO MUCH better with whole or lowfat milk. Now I get yummy foamy lattes everyday!

My other fantastic find is Tazo Chai Tea Concentrate, which I recently found at Target Its very similar to the concentrate that Starbucks uses and really easy - half tea, half milk with a dollop of foam on top. Its the perfect treat for a cold day.



Now I'm excited to try the Aerolatte Moo for an Eggnog Latte. I have my milk delivered, and eggnog will be on my order through the holidays.... yum! Now if I can only figure out how to make Starbucks' Eggnog Mini Loaf...

No comments:

Post a Comment